|History of Puurmani Manor|
|The history of Puurmani Manor (in German: Schloß Talkhof) dates back to the Middle Ages when a castle of the Order was located here. It was a residence of the Vogt of the Order. The castle was built to protect the crossing point of River Pedja and the main road between Tartu and Tallinn. From the period between 1343 and 1560 2 Vogts and 13 commanders are known from Kursi.|
Kursi castle is unique in Estonia. While ruins or at least debris hills have remained from most castles, in Kursi even the exact location is unknown.
By the middle of the 19th century, when the Baltic aristocracy started to study their own history, the last remains of the castle had been destroyed by several wars and the establishing of a park around the estate.
Later the place of the former castle was turned into a manor. The Estonian name of the estate stems from the Buhrmeister family, who were the owners in the Swedish times after having been given the manor in 1645 by Queen Kristina. By 1919, the year of expropriation, the estate was owned by the aristocratic von Manteuffel family.
Between 1877 and 1881 one of the most beautiful and monumental Neo-Renaissance styled palaces in Estonia was erected here. One of the frontal corners is emphasized by a five-floored octagonal tower. Both the tower and the facade of the building are richly decorated. In the interior design Neo-Renaissance is combined with Neo-Baroque.
A two hundred metre long alley beginning with a gate formed from Tudor style towers leads through the park to the main entrance of the estate.
| || |
| || |
|The Puurmani park and estate complex is under national protection. More than 50 species of trees and bushes can be found in the well organized park, which is divided into two parts. The front of the manor is arranged symmetrically according to the French style. The part behind the building exhibits the English style with its informal landscape gardening.|
Linden alleys and red brick fences also enhance the beauty of the park.
A strange column (or statue) located in the back garden was erected in honour of hunting dogs.
After expropriation in 1923 a school moved into the manor and is still operating there.
| || |
|Julius Kuperjanov|| |
| || |
|Julius Kuperjanov (October 11, 1894, Ljohhova near Novorzhev, Pskov Region, Russia - February 2, 1919, Tartu, Estonia) was an Estonian military commander during the Estonian War of Independence and commanding officer of the Kuperjanov Partisan Battalion.|
Kuperjanov was a schoolteacher in the village of Kambja. At the start of World War I, he was mobilised into the Imperial Russian Army and commissioned after receiving basic officer training. He was wounded in both legs.
In 1917 he joined the Estonian forces during the start of the War of Independence. In December 1918, he received permission to form a ranger battalion. Students were among the first to join the Tartu County Partisan Battalion, which was formed on 24 December 1918 in Puurmani manor.
On 14 January 1919, Julius Kuperjanov was among the liberators of Tartu. He died some weeks later of wounds received leading an attack during the decisive Battle of Paju.